21 September 2006
UNDE VP ONTARIO REPORT
The UNDE/LFCA LMRC was held in Toronto on 21 September 2006. Col Erickson, Comd 2 ASG, introduced himself to the Committee and provided opening remarks. The Col and I also took this opportunity to emphasize the importance the ALMRC and of sharing information in order to address issues of concern quickly.
ASR Update: A short brief for FY 2006/07 was provided by LCol Marcella where he informed us that the move of military positions to Petawawa is continuing, however, the transfer of civilian positions in the Area to Petawawa, is on hold because of lack of SWE and the rapid expansion in Petawawa. 3 positions in the maintenance section in Petawawa may become available for staffing in the near future. LCol Marcella will provide another update at the next meeting in January. I also informed the committee, that the union was aware that Petawawa was beginning to staff positions. The HRPM Gail Fox also confirmed that the draft LFC ASR Civ HR Strategy still has not been finalized. She will provide an update for the next meeting.
LFCA EE . The Area EE Officer, Capt Patterson-Hock, provided an update on EE activities. The HRPM Gail Fox and the EE Officer, attended the Army EE Working group, June 19 and 20th in Kingston. The WG reviewed and updated a draft copy of the Army EE Plan and once the finalized plan is received, the LFCA Area EE plan will be revised. There will be a WG with the Level 3 units end of October. Training and briefings will be provided for Commanders and from this the participants should then be able to train others back in their respective units.
The Area EE Officer also mentioned that she had heard that the Union has raised concerns in regards to the integration of the Civilian EE Plan and The Mil EE Plan into one Plan. She indicated that the DLPM Army Officer and Level 1 Civ EEO supports an integrated plan as it reinforces the concept of one Army one Team and reduces overlapping efforts. I confirmed that the Union has received the Plan and is in the process of reviewing it, once completed then feedback/comments would be provided at the National Level. There was no elaboration at this time on what those concerns may be.
The EE website has been revamped and updated and additional links have been added to the website. I have attached the link below. She further informed the committee that the call letter for the EE Workshop scheduled for 27-28 Nov 06 in Ottawa for mil and civ, managers and supervisors has been issued. This is a forum to gather together for updates and awareness. EE Champions and co-chairs will be invited to attend, and funding for both mil and civ will be provided.
Further it was reported that for the upcoming Aboriginal Awareness Course scheduled for the 16-20 October in Quebec, 6 nominations were submitted, only 1 was accepted. Priority was given to personnel who are directly involved in the subject area. No civilians expressed an interest in attending however, Directorate of Diversity and Well Being (DDWB) does not provide funding for civilians to attend and the Directorate Human Rights and Diversity (DHRD) provides funding for the military. To which I indicated this was unfair. Both Col Erickson and I would like to know the reason for this and Capt Patterson-Hock has requested an explanation from higher up.. More to follow.
Filling of Positions: Use of Contractors: The issue of contracting out and the use of contractors was presented at previous LMRCs and again concerns were raised about the use of contractors within the department. I indicated that this wasn’t just a problem within the IT world but also departmental wide problem. It was requested that a list of contractors be provided, those that are hired in the Area, so that these situations could be looked into and as well to know the Area’s long term solution to the problem. This item will become a Standing Item, and will be investigated further. There will be a further update at then next meeting. LCol Berard also indicated that there is a link on the Internet that lists contract jobs where information can be viewed. I have attached the link below.http://dgprocsvcs.ottawa-hull.mil.ca/dcpol/index_e.asp
At the last ALMRC, concerns were raised in reference to SWE and classification upgrades which have an impact on the SWE. Col Vance had stated that the Area would not hold off classification action because of a shortage of SWE. He also stated that he would have a letter prepared by the J1 and sent to the units to this effect. The letter has since been sent and I have attached it in PDF. Col Erickson also indicated that he would like to find out the reasons for the backlog and delays into classifications and indicated he would be raising this issue at the CHRPCC Meeting. As well, it was suggested that for the next meeting that a Classification Officer be invited to provide a briefing.
Under new business, the TORs for the Area LMRC were discussed and reviewed. It was agreed by all that there no changes were required at this time.
During the round table, I raised the issue related to DCCCA (Distribution Coord Center Central Area) in Toronto. That some members have a poor perception of the indeterminate staffing that is currently taking place. I realize that DCCCA currently does not fall under LFCA, which LCol Berard confirmed, however we still have members working in the vicinity. Col Erickson further elaborated that this unit had initially used contracted capability; however as questions were raised about the use of contractors, civilian positions were established to carry out these functions. Col Erickson asked the J4 to touch base with DCCCA and provide and update at the next meeting.
Before the meeting adjourned BGen Thibault joined the meeting to meet the committee members and shared his thoughts with the committee. He indicated that he would like to see both mil and civ personnel working closely together and embraced the idea of one Defence Team recognizing that mil and civ have different terms and conditions of employment, however, this should not prevent us from working together. He also emphasized the importance of the ALMRC to share information and to address issues and concerns. He further stated that his door was always open if ever we needed to communicate with him.
There were no further points brought forward the meeting was adjourned and the next meeting is scheduled for the 18 January 2007.
UNDE VP Ontario