Friday, 13th January, 2006
National GS Committee
The meeting opened at 0830 hrs.
The harassment policy was read with Brother Cal Veeder being the intervener.
Opening remarks were made.
An introduction exercise was done and all members of the committee were introduced.
The committee then read resolution 109 from the UNDE convention:
- Form a National Committee
- Make elimination of zones a priority
- Keep up the fight against privatization of GS jobs
The committee broke up into two groups to strategize how to eliminate zone rates of pay.
The groups returned with the following recommendations, and teams were formed as action points:
- Revisit the adjudicated decision
Revisit the judicial challenge (discrimination)
Glenn Horman and Daniel Verreault
- Work hand in hand with the GLT committee
- Same song sheet
Work closely together
John Irving and Cal Veeder
Gather GS statistics - nationally
- Gather GS statistics - regionally
All members of the committee
- Establish a point of contact in each local
- Develop additional PR tools
Glenn Horman and Daniel Verreault
- Educate at all levels
- Training package
Update and maintain committee website
Carla Van Dyk and Barbara Bailey
- Become active in negotiations
- Lobby to have GS members on PSAC negotiations teams
Cal Veeder and John Irving
- Political action
Answer “Why am I wearing this button”
Clear and concise political package
- Other legal challenges
- Develop common issues and solicit support from all
Investigate NJC agreements
Mike Roberts and Mary Marson
Direction from the committee was given to the chair to see if we would be able to join the GLT committee sometime during the afternoon of the 14th, and to get copies of the GLT book that was prepared for their last meeting.
Direction from the committee was given to the chair to get copies of the GS fight back course developed by the last committee for all members of the new committee.
Committee adjourned for the day.
Saturday 14 January 2006
The meeting was opened at 0900
The chairperson informed the committee that we would be meeting with the GLT committee at 1330 this afternoon.
All committee members were given copies of the GS fight back course.
All committee members were given pages from the GS committee website. The members decided that all the information there would have to be amended to reflect the changes of the mandate.
TO ENSURE THAT ALL GENERAL SERVICES WORK IS PROVIDED BY PUBLIC SERVICE EMPLOYEES EARNING EQUAL PAY FOR WORK OF EQUAL VALUE FROM COAST TO COAST.
TO DEVELOP AND COORDINATE A FIGHT BACK CAMPAIGN
- THAT WILL ENABLE MEMBERS PERFORMING GS WORK TO RETAIN THEIR JOBS WITH PROFFESSIONAL PRIDE
- THAT WILL BRING POSITIVE CHANGE TO OUR DND CULTURE AND THEREBY ENSURE THAT THE WORK OF GS WORKERS IS VALUED
- THAT WILL CHALENGE DECISIONS WHICH AFFECT THE GS WORKERS
- TO ELIMINATE ZONE RATES OF PAY
Terms of Reference
THE NATIONAL GS COMMITTEE WAS MANDATED BY THE 13TH TRIENNIAL CONVENTION IN HALIFAX TO ESTABLISH A NATIONAL COMMITTEE TO, AS A PRIORITY, WORK TO ELIMINATE ZONE RATES OF PAY, AND TO CONTINUE THE FIGHT AGAINST CONTRACTING OUT OF GS WORK. TO ACCOMPLISH THIS GOAL, THE COMMITTEE HAS ESTABLISHED THE FOLLOWING GUIDELINE;
- TO BE VISIBLE TO THE MEMBERSHIP
- TO OBTAIN BUY-IN FOR THE COMMITTEES WORK FROM THE NATIONAL EXECUTIVE AND LOCAL EXECUTIVES, BY SOLICITING SUPPORT FOR THE COMMITTEES MANDATE
- EDUCATE THE MEMBERSHIP
- TO DEVELOP STRATEGY THAT WILL SUCCESSFULLY FIGHT THE PRIVATIZATION OF GS JOBS, ELIMINATE ZONE RATES OF PAY, USING BOTH PRO-ACTIVE AND RE-ACTIVE MECHANISMS
- TO ENSURE MAXIUM, PROPORTIONATE REPRESENTATION, ON THE PSAC BARGAINING TEAM.
- TO ENSURE ALL EXISTING GS MEMBERS OF UNDE ARE AWARE OF AND WORKING TOWARDS THE COMMITTEES VISION
- TO ENSURE THAT THE TERMS OF REFERENCE IN THE “CANADA GAZETTE” ARE ADHERED TO BY THE EMPLOYER
- TO ENSURE THAT EACH BASE HAS A COPY OF THE HR PLAN, OBTAINED THROUGH THE LMRC PROCESS.
The committee broke for lunch.
After lunch the committee met with the GLT committee.
Each committee chairperson reported what each committee had accomplished so far. It was decided that the GLT committee would take the lead on the elimination of zones. The chairperson asked the National President to send a letter to the locals making them aware of the committees mandates, and informing the locals that the GS and GLT committee member from their region would be available to travel to each local with the VP of the regions to inform the members and to solicit their support for the fight. It was hoped that each local would receive the presentation before the end of March. The members of the committees then edited a power point presentation that will be given to each local. There was discussion around tee shirts and other promotional items.
The GS committee returned to our committee meeting, and each person agreed to review the outstanding work of the committee, review the GS fight back course material, and to have all suggestions, including nil returns by the 15th of February.
Next meeting will be the 30th and 31st of March, and the 1st of April.
Agenda items for the next meeting to the chairperson no later than the 15th of March.